Today, tuition in Singapore is an necessity. A Straits Time articles published in February 2009 indicates that some 97% of the Singaporean student population today have some form of tuition.
Does Tuition Really Helps?
More than 80% of these parents observed an improvement of 1-3 grades in their children school work, usually within a time frame of 3-6 months. Getting a private tutor has the following advantages:
- A tutor can impart knowledge and smart exam techniques that may not be taught in sufficient details in school.
- A tutor can customise his teaching to specific weak areas of every individual student which a school teacher is unable to do due to the student-teacher ratio.
What Category of Home Tutors to Get?
There are mainly these four types of tutors in the Singapore market today:
- Student Tutor: These are students still pursuing their education and are best able to relate to the academic stress and conditions your child is faced now since these tutors probably just went through what your child is undergoing.
- Part-time Tutor: Part-time tutors are holding full-time jobs, often in different disciplines and fields. Part-timers typically are only available for tuition on evening and weekends.
- Full-Time Tutor: Full-time tutors give tutoring as the main job, thus full-time tutors watch the time closely, as they may need to move off to another teaching assignments. Experienced full-time tutors often have the ability to quickly identify the weak area faced by most children and are very familiar with the syllabus.
- Teacher Tutor: Teachers who give tuition are the most valued after tutors, commanding the highest rates. As they are intimately familiar with the changing trends of education in Singapore, some good current teachers may even be able to spot potential questions that are highly likely to come out in this year examinations. The right type of tutor for your child really depends on your budget you are able to afford and the peculiar needs for your child.
How to Find A Good Tutor?
Word of mouth recommendation is still the best means to find the right tutor. Ask around your colleagues or friends who may have good experience with a particular tutor.
Seeking the help of tuition agencies is another way to find a good tutor. Typically, commission of doing tutor matching is taken from the tutor's first month tuition fees, hence engaging tuition agencies help to seek the right tutor comes at virtually no cost to the parents at all.
About the Author
Chee Yong is the founder for Education Haven Pte Ltd, a tuition agency specializing in finding quality tutors at reasonable prices. He has also 15 years of tutoring experience and is happy to advise you on how to improve your child grades and academic abilities.
http://matchtutor.com.sg is the Education Haven's website. The website contains detailed listing of tuition centres in Singapore and many education related nuggets that your child will find useful in their school work.
If you have further queries on how to pick a good tutor for your child unique needs, you can contact Chee Yong at 9424-9475 for a free consultation session. Chee Yong can also be reached at email@example.com.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Chee_Yong_Lee